« Back Contact information • History • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: E-2Last update of repository: 15 March 2020
Institut arkheologii RAN (IA)
First named the Russian Academy of the History of Material Culture (RAIMK), the predecessor of the Institute of Archeology was established in Petrograd in April 1919, on the basis of the Russian State Archeological Commission, which in turn had been established at the end of 1917, on the basis of the Imperial Archeological Commission (established in 1859). In 1926 it was renamed the State Academy of the History of Material Culture (GAIMK). In July 1937 the Institute became part of the Academy of Sciences as the N.Ia. Marr Institute of the History of Material Culture (IIMK). A Moscow Division of the Institute was established and, in 1945, the Institute headquarters was transferred from Leningrad to Moscow, while a division remained in Leningrad. In 1953 IIMK came under the Division of Historical Sciences of the Academy, and in 1959, it was renamed the Institute of Archeology of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. In 1991, the Leningrad Division was organized as the separate Institute of the History of Material Culture (IIMK—see E–26). The present name of the Moscow Institute dates from 1992.