« Back Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: D-1Last update of repository: 6 December 2020
Tsentral'nyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv goroda Moskvy (TsGA Moskvy)
Otdel khraneniia dokumentov do 1917 goda—Fondy byvshego Tsentral'nogo istoricheskogo arkhiva Moskvy (TsIAM)
[Division for Preservation of Records before 1917—Holdings from the former Central Historical Archive of Moscow]
Address: 117393, Moscow, ul. Profsoiuznaia, 80
Telephone: +7 499 128-67-86, +7 499 128-78-97, +7 499 724-33-50
Fax: +7 495 334-44-90
Reading room: +7 499 128-67-19 (RdngRm no.1)
Website: http://cgamos.ru/storage_centers/28612/Opening hours: M–F 8:00–17:00; RdngRm: M 9:30–16:30, Tu–Th 12:00–20:00, F 9:30–15:00 (year round)
Transport: metro: Kaluzhskaia
Head of Reading Room: Natal'ia Anatol'evna Granenova (tel. +7 499 128-67-19)
Total: 2,122 fonds; 2,475,941 units; 18th c.–1917
TsKhD before 1917 (former TsIAM) holding contains most of the prerevolutionary records of Moscow city and gubernia, and some from other central gubernias of prerevolutionary Russia. Its holdings include the records of agencies of state government and administration: chancelleries of the Moscow governors-general and governors of the city, the Moscow Gubernia Administration (Moskovskoe gubernskoe pravlenie), and gubernia chancellery, the Moscow Judicial Chambers (sudebnaia palata), and other local courts. The fonds of the estate organizations of prerevolutionary Russia include the records of the Chancellery of the Gentry Deputies’ Assembly of Moscow (Kantseliariia Moskovskogo deputatskogo sobraniia), chancelleries of the Marshalls of the Nobility, the Moscow Merchants’ Board (Moskovskaia kupecheskaia uprava), and Moscow merchant guilds.
It also retains records of many prerevolutionary industrial, agricultural, and commercial institutions, such as the Stock-Exchange Committee (Birzhevoi komitet), the Moscow Land Bank, the Moscow City Credit Society, the Electro-Machine-Building Plant, the Prokhorov and Danilov Manufacturing Society (Tovarishchestva Danilovskoi i Prokhorovskoi manufaktur), and others factories, banks, and business enterprises.
Documentation of educational institutions of Moscow and former Moscow Gubernia is represented by the records of the Chancellery of the Administrator of the Moscow Educational District (Kantseliariia popechitelia Moskovskogo uchebnogo okruga), Moscow University (see E–65 for records remaining in the archive of MGU itself), the Medico-Surgical Academy, the Higher Technical School (Vysshee Tekhnicheskoe uchilishche), gymnasia, and other institutions of secondary education.
Religion and ecclesiastical institutions are represented by the records of the Moscow Ecclesiastical Consistory, the Ecclesiastical Administration of the City and Gubernia of Moscow, institutions of clerical education, and many Moscow churches, monasteries, and synagogues, including their parish registers.
Records of social scientific and cultural organizations are represented by the fonds of the Moscow City Board for Social Presence (Moskovskoe gorodskoe po delam ob obshchestvakh prisutstvie), the Moscow Archeological Society (part of these records are in Institute of the History of Material Culture, E–26), the Committee to Construct a Museum of Applied Knowledge (Polytechnic Museum) in Moscow, and the Society for Support of Successful Scientific Experiments (Obshchestvo sodeistviia uspekham opytnykh nauk), among others.
Former TsIAM holding also retains a number of personal papers of Moscow business and cultural leaders, such as the Administrator of the Moscow Educational District A.N. Bakhmet'ev, the economist and publicist A.I. Chuprov, the statistician, agriculturist, and pedagogue A.F. Fortunatov, the historian M.S. Korelin, and the Morozov family of industrialists.
N.B. This archive should not be confused with the former (before 1961) Central State Historical Archive of Moscow (TsGIAM), one of the largest repositories for records of political history of prerevolutionary Russia (nineteenth to the early twentieth century), most holdings from which are now kept in GA RF (formerly TsGAOR SSSR).
The archive was itself established in 1976 on the basis of the prerevolutionary division of the then Central State Archive of the City of Moscow (TsGA g. Moskvy), which had been organized in 1963 on the basis of the earlier State Historical Archive of Moscow Oblast (GIAMO). GIAMO developed from the Historical Archive which was initially established in 1925 as a division of the Moscow Gubernia Archival Bureau (see D-08), which brought together remaining records of earlier gubernia archives dating back to the end of the eighteenth century, including the Moscow Gubernia Archive of Early Acts (Moskovskii gubernskii arkhiv starykh del). Predominantly housed in the Kremlin towers since the early twentieth century, the Historical Archive remained a division of the Moscow Oblast Archival Bureau (1929–1931), although it has, nonetheless, been considered a separate Historical Archive since 1930. It was thereafter under the Moscow Oblast Archival Administration (1931–1937), during which period it was transferred to a former church and monastery. With the 1941 Glavarkhiv NKVD reorganization, it became the State Historical Archive of Moscow Oblast (GIAMO), and remained under the Archival Administration of Moscow Oblast until 1963.
With the formation of the Central State Archive of the City of Moscow (TsGA g. Moskvy) in 1963, the prerevolutionary holdings of the earlier State Historical Archive of Moscow Oblast (GIAMO) were transferred to municipal administration as the prerevolutionary division of the new TsGA g. Moskvy. That division became the separate Central State Historical Archive of the City of Moscow (TsGIA g. Moskvy) in 1976.
In May 1993 the archive was named TsIAM, when the designation “state” was dropped from its former name—TsGIA g. Moskvy.
With the establishment of the separate Central Archive of Documentary Collections—TsADKM (before last reorganization TsMAMLS, see D-6) in 1993, there has been some consideration of transferring fonds of personal papers and related private collections from TsIA g. Moskvy to TsADKM, but as of the fall of 1998, TsADKM houses only postrevolutionary personal papers.
With the April 2013 reorganization of Glavarkhiv Moskvy the Central Historical Archive of Moscow (TsIAM) was abolished and its fonds were transferred to the new Central State Archive of the city of Moscow (TsGA Moskvy, D-1).
Researchers can work with documents from TsKhD before 1917 (former TsIAM) in reading rooms no. 1 (Profsoiuznaia ul., 80). Researchers can order three files a day (but with a maximum of 500 pages), but a researcher cannot hold more than 15 at one time. Orders are usually delivered within two or often three working days. Opisi not held in the Reading Room are delivered the following day. The use of portable computers is permitted, if no electric hookup is required. The archive has a separate small reading room for use of loose-leaf documents.
Some fonds have been microfilmed and may be consulted in the separate reading room (Profsoiuznaia ul., 82, korp. 1); these are marked in the opis' as “SF” and require a special order form.
More detailed information about working conditions, reference and copy facilities available in the notes on TsIAM, by Sergei Antonov: http://dissertationreviews.org/archiv....
The list of fonds of TsKhD before 1917 (former TsIAM) is available electronically on the website: http://cgamos.ru/funds/s68/.
Many of the opisi, are shelved at the back of the Reading Room (listed in a card catalogue next to the archivists’ window). Indexes are available for some of the larger and most popular fonds. TsIAM has subject, name, and geographic card catalogues covering many fonds.