« Back Contact information • History • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: E-7Last update of repository: 15 March 2020
Institut vostokovedeniia RAN (IV)
Access & Facilities
Researchers should present an official letter addressed to the director with the subject and purpose of research.
The library was founded at the time the Institute headquarters moved from Leningrad in 1950, when approximately 9,000 volumes of literature relating to Oriental studies were transferred to Moscow. The library consolidated the holdings of the Institute of the Pacific Ocean, some volumes from the Library of the Academy of Sciences (BAN), the Saltykov-Shchedrin State Public Library (GPB), and the State Public Historical Library (GPIB). Subsequently, the library acquired the holdings of the Institute of Chinese Studies, and the personal library collections of Sinologists Academician V.M. Alekseev and Professor G.S. Kara-Murza, and Professor Usman Efendi on Indian philology. In 1958 the library acquired the personal library of Academician V.A. Gordlevskii with rich Turkological holdings, which in 1960 were organized as a memorial cabinet of the scholar. Another memorial cabinet was arranged honoring Iu.N. Rerikh (Roerich), after acquisition of his rich collections relating to Tibetan and Indian studies. The library since 1969 has been a branch of INION, although it has its own systematic and alphabetic card catalogues.