« Back Contact information • History • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: E-27Last update of repository: 15 March 2020
Sankt-Peterburgskii Institut istorii RAN (SPbII)
The extensive Archive of SPbII (formerly SPbF IRI and LOII) owes its origin to materials collected by the Commission for Publishing Documents Collected on Archeographic Expeditions, established in 1834, many of which had earlier been collected throughout Russia on expeditions led by P.M. Stroev (1829–1834). Renamed the Archeographic Commission and given permanent status in 1837 (under the auspices of the Ministry of Public Education), the Commission was designated to collect documentary sources (especially those predating 1700, but also from the 18th c.) that were otherwise being neglected locally throughout the Russian Empire. A considerable complex of documents collected during archeographic expeditions was subsequently enlarged with documentation from archives of guberniia administrations and other state institutions, as well as with documentary materials received as a gift or purchased from individuals by Commission members such as N.P. Likhachev, A.S. Lappo-Danilevskii, V.O. Kliuchevskii, A.A. Shakhmatov, S.B. Veselovskii, and others. By 1917 the Archeographic Commission holdings comprised some 85 fonds and collections.
After the October Revolution the Archeographic Commission (since 1922 within the Russian Academy of Sciences) acquired manuscript materials from many nationalized sources under the auspices of the State Museum Fond, the Petrograd Division of the Commission for the Protection of Art and Antiquities, Glavnauka, the State Academy for the History of Material Culture (GAIMK), and more specific materials from many local organizations, abolished religious institutions, and private collections. Merged with the Permanent Historical Commission of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR in 1926, it was renamed the Permanent Historico-Archeographic Commission and subsequently reorganized into the Historico-Archeographic Institute in 1931. The Leningrad Division of the Institute of History was established on its basis in 1936. In the course of the reforms of the Academy during the 1930s, the Commission/Institute acquired additional documentary materials from the Library of the Academy of Sciences (BAN, G–16), the Academy Archive, and Pushkin House (Pushkinskii Dom), although the Archeographic Commission itself was disbanded in 1936.
At that time the Leningrad Division was merged with, and acquired the holdings of what had been the separate Institute of the Book, Document, and Writing of the Academy of Sciences (1931–1936). That institute owed its origin to the Institute of Paleography under Petrograd (and subsequently Leningrad) University (1918–1925), which was transferred to Academy of Sciences jurisdiction in 1925 under the name of the Museum of Paleography (1925–1930), also having acquired in 1925 a major collection of printed materials and documents of N.P. Likhachev. In 1930 its name was changed to the Museum of the Book, Document, and Writing, before being reorganized as an institute in 1931. In 1936, it combined to become part of the Leningrad Division of the Institute of History under the Academy of Sciences.
In 1953 the Leningrad Division was disbanded, but was reorganized again in 1955, with its archive preserved. The archive remained under LOII until in 1992, it was again reorganized as the St. Petersburg Branch of the Institute of Russian History. In 2000 it became the independent St. Petersburg Institute of History. For the Moscow Institute (IRI RAN), see E–3.
The Archeographic Commission, reestablished in 1956 under the Division of History of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR with a division in Leningrad, continues under RAN. Its tasks include coordination of archeographic work under different institutions of the Academy of Sciences, the organization of archeographic expeditions, and the publication of Arkheograficheskii ezhegodnik and Vspomogatel'nye istoricheskie distsipliny, the latter based at SPbF IRI.
N.B. The records of predecessor institutions, such as the Archeographic Commission (since its establishment in 1834), the Historico-Archeographic Commission, Historico-Archeographic Institute and LOII (fond 133, 1834–1953; fond 227, 1918–1936) are held in the St. Petersburg Branch of the Archive of the Russian Academy of Sciences (SPbF ARAN, E–25). Brief annotations of these fonds available electronically on the electronic informational system of ARAN: fond 133: http://isaran.ru/isaran/isaran.php?pa...; fond 227: http://isaran.ru/isaran/isaran.php?pa....
Also found there are the records of the Institute and later Museum of Paleography, and the Museum (and later Institute) of the Book, Document, and Writing (fond 217, 1911–1935; electronically: http://isaran.ru/isaran/isaran.php?pa...).