« Back Contact information • History • Holdings • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: C-9Last update of repository: 31 January 2019
Tsentral'nyi arkhiv voisk natsional'noi gvardii RF (TsAVV)
The Military Archive of the Staff of Troops was established in 1923 by order of the State Political Administration (GPU) for the collection and preservation of, and research in, the records of internal troop units, and their utilization for scientific and practical aims. With the changing structure and operations of the troops under GPU–OGPU–NKVD–MVD SSSR (see C–6 and C–8), the archival structure was changed accordingly.
In connection with the abolition of the MVD SSSR in February 1960, most of the former Military Archive of the Internal Troops was transferred to TsGASA (now RGVA, B–8). A year later, in 1961, the Archive of Internal Troops, and Internal and Convoy Guards of the MVD RSFSR was founded. It accessioned the records of internal troops units and divisions, beginning in 1951, and also part of the materials from the former Chief Directorate (Chief Administration) of Internal and Convoy Troops.
The archive was reorganized in 1967 after the transfer of the troops from the authority of the Ministry for Protection of Public Order of the RSFSR (Ministerstvo okhrany obshchestvennogo poriadka—MOOP RSFSR) to the all-union ministry—MOOP SSSR. In 1968 it was renamed the Archive of Internal Troops. Since 1975 its official name has been the Central Archive of Internal Troops.