Contact information • History • Holdings • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: B-1Last update of repository: 6 September 2020
Gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Rossiiskoi Federatsii (GA RF)
GA RF was established by resolution of the Russian Government (28.IV.1992) on the basis of the combined holdings of TsGAOR SSSR and TsGA RSFSR. In January 1995, it was added to the federal register of the most valuable monuments of the cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation.
In terms of its Soviet-period holdings, TsGAOR owes its origin to the Archive of the October Revolution (AOR), founded in 1920, which first began to collect records of the postrevolutionary period, and which was officially considered the Fourth Division of the State Archive of the RSFSR (Gosarkhiv RSFSR). In 1925 this archive was raised to the status of a separate repository and renamed the Central Archive of the October Revolution in Moscow (TsAOR), and in 1929 became the official repository for postrevolutionary records of the USSR and the RSFSR. In 1938 it became the Central State Archive of the October Revolution (TsGAOR) and in 1941, the Central State Archive of the October Revolution and Socialist Construction (TsGAORSS). That same year the archive accessioned the holdings of the disbanded Central Archive of the Trade-Union Movement (TsAPD). In 1946 TsGAORSS acquired the collections from the former Russian Foreign Historical Archive (Russkii zagranichnyi istoricheskii arkhiv—RZIA) in Prague, which had been founded in 1923 and served during the interwar period as a major archival depository for the Russian emigration, as well as Russian émigré fonds from other foreign sources. Subsequently, parts of the RZIA collections were distributed to about 30 state archives and museums throughout the USSR.
TsGAOR SSSR was again reorganized in 1961, at which time its principal economic holdings were siphoned off to the newly founded Central State Archive of the National Economy (TsGANKh SSSR, now RGAE—see B–6). At the same time TsGAOR SSSR took over most of the contents of the then abolished Central State Historical Archive in Moscow (TsGIAM), which had been established in 1941; it comprised the prerevolutionary holdings from the former so-called New Romanov (Novoromanovskii) Archive (fonds and collections of the imperial family and court), and also many fonds from the former Historico-Revolutionary Archive in Petrograd, which had been transferred to Moscow in 1924. Hence, while before 1961 TsGAOR held only records from the Soviet period, with the receipt of records from TsGIAM, TsGAOR also had a major division for prerevolutionary fonds.
TsGA RSFSR was founded as a separate institution in 1957 on the basis of the records of central agencies of the Russian Federation, which had been accessioned by TsGAOR since 1923. It also acquired the records of ministries and other agencies abolished in the course of the Khrushchev reforms.